Thursday, June 5, 2014

Korean Spicy Crab (Cooked)

My Korean obsession started about 6 years ago. I know, crazy that I would even admit that and I was so intrigued by the food. It always looked so delicious. The asian population uses an immense variety of ingredients.  I am on a mission to cook with ingredients that I have never tried before! This recipe for Spicy Crab was adapted from the raw version called Yangnyeom Gejang. I adjusted and added ingredients to my taste and I have to say, it's VERY delicious!


  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
  • 2 tablespoons chopped ginger
  • 6 blue crabs cleaned, gutted and split in half
  • 1 lb shrimp tail on
  • 2 heaping tablespoons prawn paste (asian grocer or asian grocery section)
  • 2 tablespoons hot pepper paste
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 3 stalks green onion chopped or sliced thin
  • 1/2 cup fresh basil
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil

Try and buy the crabs already cleaned. Any good fish counter will do it for you. Break off the claws and set all of the crab pieces aside.

In a large pot add vegetable oil and heat. Throw in the garlic and ginger and stir fry but do not brown. Add all of the crab and store keeping flame medium-high. Add the shrimp and continue to stir.

Add the prawn sauce, the soy sauce and the pepper paste continuing to stir. Throw in green onion and basil and finish off with sesame oil.

Remove from heat and it's ready to eat!
ENJOY!

NOTE: Did you know that if you cut the crab in half and squeeze on the body portion, all of the meat will ooze out with very little effort. Squeeze it right into your mouth so you don't miss any of it!




No comments:

Post a Comment