Monday, June 30, 2014

Down on the Farm...

I found the most fabulous gem of a place today right here in my hometown called Llama Mama Good Farm. It is a nonprofit 100% organic organization that promotes healing, wellness and nutritional education. The most interesting thing about this great little farm is the Llama roaming around and the manure that they use as fertilizer for their crops! Availability of items changes each week so it's always exciting to see what's there!

I am so excited to add Llama Mama Good Farm to my list of "Places Worth Going". I intend to add more recipes on Food Newsy that are "On The Lighter Side" and also healthy alternatives.

Today at the farm I scored some pretty awesome veggies like, Garlic Scapes (that are fantastic), Beets, Swiss Chard, a variety of Lettuce, and a beautiful Herb Bouquet. I also got to meet Linda, Co-founder and farm operator.

BTW - visiting and purchasing at the farm is by appointment only. Just check them out on Facebook or see their website at http://www.llamamamagoodfarm.com

Here are some pictures along with the first of many tips and/or recipes using some of the goods from Llama Mama Good Farm

Recipes for Asian Beet Greens Stir Fry, Beet and Red Onion Salad, Sauteed Swiss Chard and White Bean and Garlic Scape Dip to come!

Pictured below are my purchases today, with a great tip on preserving fresh herbs.



To preserve herbs for later use, simply put into ice cube trays or vacuum seal bags along with some good olive oil and freeze them. Take them out as needed!









No comments:

Post a Comment