Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Specialty Store Standouts




With all of the specialty food stores popping up everywhere it can get a little confusing about where to shop and for what. I have created a list of standouts from some of the stores that I have explored. I will try to keep this post updated often. The next time you are out and about and nearby one of these picks, you might want to drop in and shop!

DELICIOUS ORCHARDS
Of course the obvious to buy is the fresh cider, cider donuts, fritters and, all of the apple pies. They have a pretty unique deli as well. The Stripey Jack is one of my favorites. It’s a mild, smooth cheese that delicious in salads or on a cracker.

FAIRWAY MARKETS
Fairway’s Own Barbera Sicilian Olive Oil
This is by far one of the best olive oils I’ve ever tasted with the exception of the olive oil we indulged on in Tuscany! The Barbera Sicilian is first cold press, creamy, complex and a little smoky and slightly peppery. As described by Fairway, this olive oil is an all-purpose olive oil you can drizzle liberally on salads, in sauces, marinades, bastes, and sautés, just short of drinking it straight up!

TRADER JOES
Trader Joe’s Marinated Chipotle Chicken Skewers
They are great on the BBQ, low in fat, gluten free and I have to admit I have never tried to cook them in the oven. The flavor is mild so if you like something that has more of a kick, you can certainly enhance the flavor by brushing them with some pepper sauce.

Frozen Fruit Frenzy Bars
Delicious Layers of Fruit; Raspberry, Lemon and Strawberry

Frozen Mango Chunks
Nothing to say but YUMMY!

Organic Frozen Brown Rice
I was skeptical, but I love brown rice and hate to cook it. It takes so long and I hate waiting. This rice microwaves in 3 minutes and is delicious. The taste, texture and moistness are perfect.
www.traderjoes.com

WEGMANS
The Olive Bar
Wegman’s Olive/Mediterranean bar is spectacular. I particularly like the Baba Ghanoush, which is, roasted eggplant, fresh garlic and spices blended in a creamy dressing, and the Peppadew peppers are always crisp and fresh.

WHOLE FOODS
The Bulk Spices
If you haven’t checked it out yet, you should. They sell by weight and you can fill a spice jar for way less than buying pre-bottled spices. I love bulk spices and not having to buy new jars!
www.wholefoods.com

No comments:

Post a Comment